
Psalm 37:4 - Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.
I was looking for a verse this morning, and I found this one. I was thinking about the word "delight" and how it's such a great word! It encompasses the idea of taking great pleasure in something so beautifully. God takes great pleasure in his creations. God delights in you and in me. I should also delight in Him! Right now, I think I need to focus less on my present struggles (not ignore them) and I should be delighting in the one who delights in me.
This brings me to the question, "what are the desires of my heart?" On the surface I'd say I want a satisfying job that will support Jon and I while we're in Hamilton, or, I want to be able to get enough sleep...
When I really think about it, though, those aren't really the things my heart desires. They are important, and the list could go on, but they aren't really all that deep. My heart desires deep connections with God and with people. It desires for all to know and feel they are loved. It wants suffering to cease. My heart desires to be the heart of God. Those are the desires of my heart, and if delighting in the Lord will bring those things...I will delight!
4 comments:
this was definitely an enjoyable read. it's a good reminder as it is so easy to blind ourselves to delight-filled moments and focus on the things that aren't going our way. story of my last two months. thanks sis.
Thinking and praying for you tonight and in the days to come that God would speak into your life and give you moments in which you discover the delights of your heart. Love you lots!
Good thoughts, Jess. Thanks for the challenge to delight in what really matters. Thinking of you two out there! Hope you have a lovely visit with Alissa and Ayla!
Thanks for this, Jess. What a great reminder of "first things" in our lives. I'm praying for your job situation, too, and for this continued awareness of your value in the eyes of God. I think you are a bearer of God's heart in so many ways.
Post a Comment