Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Little Compare/Contrast

My certification finally came--and earlier than I had been told it would, too! This is very exciting for me as I can now be considered to places I apply! Recently, I acquired a temporary (hopefully) job as a tutor. My hope is that while I work as a tutor and volunteer at some Hamilton schools, I will be offered a position in Brantford (a place ~20-30 minutes outside Hamilton). It seems to be where all the teaching jobs are at around here. I'll keep you updated!

Here's a picture of the hike from the last post:


Other than that bit of information, I thought I'd do a little comparison/contrast of Winnipeg and Hamilton today...

1: Bus tickets. They both have them, but look at the size! For some reason I find the big size of Hamilton transit tickets to be quite fascinating... 2: Students + Bus Passes. Jon's bus fare is taken care of through an added fee to his tuition (which, by the way is a small fee compared to the benefit!). All he has to do is show his student card and it acts as a bus pass for the whole year! That is so cool! In Winnipeg, this would not be the case. Instead, a monthly pass would be cheaper for students, but both the pass and the student card are required. Hamilton wins!

3: Milk. In Winnipeg, the 4 litres come in jugs. Normal, yes. In Hamilton, 4 litres come in 3 bags. This, we are now used to, but like the big bus tickets, this change was very interesting for me. Oh, also, milk here is super expensive! I remember it being $3-something in Wpg, but here it's over $5! What a person needs for their calcium these days.

4: Lack of hills vs. hills
...pretty self explanatory.

5: Young people. They are everywhere in Wpg, but in Hamilton, they seem to not yet exist! I mean, we've seen a few...but we're thinking that we'll be seeing more starting next week and as university begins.

6: Church. We've been to many in Winnipeg, and even have a church "home." Here, we've visited 3, and it seems to be the pattern (see above) that there are a LOT of old people (and I mean, canes and white hair old) and not-so-many young people our age. We even accidentally attended a senior service when the younger service had happened earlier that morning! Anyways, that too should be better come September when university is in full swing.

That's enough for now. And I didn't get around to the skirt picture...

1 comment:

Janessa said...

my guess is that you find the large transit tickets so fascinating because you are related to me, and thus find anything a little oversized for it's purpose really FUNNY.