Monday, March 16, 2009

Babe & Burkas


I painted this a while ago after seeing a photograph in the Winnipeg Free Press (online). The photograph portrayed Afghan refugee women (and this young child) in a Pakistan refugee camp. One of the things I thought about as I stared at the photograph was, Wow, there are women like me under those burkas, fleeing horrific circumstances. I wonder what these women were thinking at this time? Were they talking? Laughing? Crying? Silent? Praying? I care about these women. The child also stood out to me. Those eyes.

I have recently read A Thousand Splendid Suns and The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini and highly recommend them. Both are incredibly powerful, informative, and beautifully written.

So what now?

1 comment:

Kara said...

I am loving the painting first of all. You have talent my friend. I look forward to new paintings you will create.
Secondly, I LOVED A Thousand Splendid Suns. Very moving and powerful indeed. I have yet to read the Kite Runner, but I have a hunch that one will be next.

Perhaps a phone date will need to be scheduled soon. This week is kinda crazy, but perhaps next week will work. Missing you and loving you lots!